The advice shared at our regular Coffee Catch Up Expert Surgeries is invaluable and can save you hundreds in online courses and workshops. We have experts in so many fields and one thing they all have in common is their generosity when it comes to knowledge sharing.
Earlier this month we discussed all things websites with incredible members Jas of ShortTech and Julia of JBS Printing and Web Design and for this blog they have provided a summary of their top tips for making your website attract new customers including some hugely useful advice on how to maximise your profile on Google My Business.
1. Check your website regularly (monthly or quarterly) and try to look with fresh eyes as if you were a potential customer. Does it immediately tell people who you are and what you do so they know they are in the right place and not wasting time.
2. Check it on multiple real devices of different sizes and test the contact form messages work. These often break after updates I find.
3. Think of every page as a home page – people don’t all start at the ‘home’ page.
4. Go to site:yourwebsite.com to see all the pages which are being indexed in the SERPS (search engine results pages) and review the meta titles and descriptions. They should be customised and not auto filled from the website content.
5. If you’ve got budget then spend it on keyword research.
1. Make sure you know your target audience before you start a website. Who are you talking to? What are their challenges? Make your website clearly directed to them and make it obvious how you can help them.
2. Make sure you know what your website is there for. You may simply require a magazine style website to begin with to sign-post potential customers and tell your business story.
3. Make sure your website works well on mobiles and uploads quickly. There’s nothing more frustrating than a website that takes ages to load and your customers will simply go elsewhere.
Thanks so much Jas and Julia. Knowledge is indeed power in the world of a small business owner and all our members are ready to share and help you to flourish.